Welcome to Floetry Sign in | Join | Faq

The Music

Started by MsButterfly94 at 10-11-2006 1:13 PM. Topic has 9 replies.

Print Search
Sort Posts:    
   10-11-2006, 1:13 PM
MsButterfly94 is online. Last active: 11/15/2006 10:24:11 PM MsButterfly94

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 12-16-2005
Posts 6,177
NY City Building Hit By a Plane.... NOT Again!!!
Reply Quote
I'm posting this for "Da Scoop"
Small Plane Hits New York City Building
By COLEEN LONG, AP

top.ch_refresher.add_ad('93179288', 160, 600, 0, '160x600_1');

NEW YORK (Oct. 11) - A small plane crashed into a high-rise on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, raining down debris on the neighborhood and shooting giant flames out the windows, police said.

Christine Monaco, a New York spokeswoman for FBI, said there was no indication of terrorism in the crash, but that officials "have been sent to the scene as a routine." FAA spokesman Jim Peters said all three New York City-area airports are operating normally.

"The initial indication is that there is a terrible accident," said Department of Homeland Security spokesman Russ Knocke.

The aircraft struck the 20th floor of a building on East 72nd Street, said Fire Department spokeswoman Emily Rahimi. Witnesses said the crash caused a loud noise, and flames were seen shooting out of the windows.

CNN grab of building fire in NYC
CNN
Plane Crashes into High-Rise
If you're in the area of the Upper East Side crash site, send us your cell phone images or video.

Here's How to Submit:
Upload Your Photos
Shoot and Share UnCut Video

"It's a mob scene with police and helicopters circling," said Sandy Teller, watching from his apartment a block away. "There's a dozen ambulances and lots of firemen waiting on 72nd, on the corner. There's lots of stretchers ready, gurneys. And lots of emergency people waiting."

The crash struck fear in a city devastated by the attacks of Sept. 11 five years ago. Witnesses said sirens echoed across the east side of Manhattan as emergency workers rushed to the scene. The crash triggered a loud bang. Broken glass and debris was strewn around the neighborhood.

"There's a sense of helpnessness," Teller said. "Cots and gurneys, waiting. It's a mess."

The Federal Aviation Administration said it was too early to determine what type of aircraft was involved, or what might have caused the crash in the middle of a hazy October afternoon.

Witness Sarah Steiner, who lives one block away, told CNN that "The fire was raging out of two windows on approximately the 30th floor. ... They are evacuating the building."

The address of the building is 524 E. 72nd Street - a 50-story condominium tower built in the late 1980s and located near Sotheby's Auction House. The Belaire Condo, developed by William Zeckendorf Jr., has 183 apartments, many of which sell for more than $1 million.

Several lower floors of the building are occupied by doctors and administrative offices, as well as guest facilities for family members of patients at the Hospital for Special Surgery, hospital spokeswoman Phyllis Fisher said. No patients were in the high-rise building and operations at the hospital a block away weren't affected, Fisher said. The Hospital for Special Surgery specializes in orthopedic operations.

10/11/06 15:44 EDT

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL

10-11-2006, 1:18 PM

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 12-16-2005
Posts 6,177
Re: NY City Building Hit By a Plane.... NOT Again!!!
Reply Quote
I pray that this is not a reoccurence of 911...Amen..

10-11-2006, 1:24 PM

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 12-16-2005
Posts 6,177
Reply Quote

Check out CNN.com.

http://www.cnn.com/

10-11-2006, 1:28 PM
U_R_Stupid is online. Last active: 10/29/2006 6:36:33 PM U_R_Stupid

Top 25 Posts
Joined on 02-18-2006
Neverland
Posts 1,923
Reply Quote

NEW YORK (CNN) -- A small airplane crashed into a 50-story residential building on Manhattan's East Side on Wednesday, killing at least one person, the New York City Fire Department said.

(If the name sticks I might have to change it...........)

10-11-2006, 3:27 PM
DeeDee411 is not online. Last active: 10/24/2006 12:16:00 PM DeeDee411

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 11-21-2005
Posts 3,122
Reply Quote

Im in lower manhattan but we heard from my area the fire trucks and emergency vehicles from our area, Sista girl was packed and ret ta go!

I quit my job today so no more manhattan for me for another 2 weeks!

.....and I'm spent!

As Deelicious as it gets
http://www.myspace.com/deedee411
   10-11-2006, 3:39 PM
mzmiracal is not online. Last active: 10/28/2006 10:09:13 PM mzmiracal

Top 50 Posts
Joined on 08-07-2006
memphis
Posts 954
Reply Quote
well i am happy to hear u are ok deedee
when i make u rain...baby it pours
   10-11-2006, 4:26 PM
Che is not online. Last active: 10/28/2006 12:43:13 AM Che

Top 75 Posts
Joined on 01-09-2006
NYC
Posts 307
Reply Quote
 DeeDee411 wrote:

Im in lower manhattan but we heard from my area the fire trucks and emergency vehicles from our area, Sista girl was packed and ret ta go!

I quit my job today so no more manhattan for me for another 2 weeks!

.....and I'm spent!

Lucky you Dee Dee.. I'm in upper Manhattan.. but I was ready to break out if I needed too.. you know we are always on alert.

Unfortunately, a Yankee pitcher, Corey Lidle, along with others died in the crash.

"The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed..." - Carl Jung
   10-11-2006, 4:45 PM
U_R_Stupid is online. Last active: 10/29/2006 6:36:33 PM U_R_Stupid

Top 25 Posts
Joined on 02-18-2006
Neverland
Posts 1,923
Reply Quote

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Yankees pitcher Cory Lidle and his flight instructor were killed Wednesday when Lidle's plane crashed into a high-rise apartment building in New York, city and baseball team officials said.

No residents at the Belaire Condominiums at 524 E. 72nd Street near the East River were injured.

Emergency responders found Lidle's passport in the street below, the officials said. Two bodies were found in the street, responders told CNN.

"It looks like the plane just flew into someone's living room," witness Sarah Steiner told CNN.

Yankees owner George Steinbrenner confirmed that Lidle was killed in the crash.

"This is a terrible and shocking tragedy that has stunned the entire Yankees organization," he said in a written statement. "I offer my deep condolences and prayers to his wife, Melanie, and son, Christopher, on their enormous loss."

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg would not confirm that one of the victims was Lidle, but said the two victims were a flight instructor and a student. Investigators have not been able to talk to the victims' families, he said.

Lidle was married in 1997 to Melanie Varela and has a 6-year-old son, Christopher Taylor Lidle. His twin brother, Kevin Lidle, played minor league baseball.

"There is nothing to indicate that anything remotely like terrorism was involved in this," Bloomberg stressed.

The state-of-the-art single-engine airplane was a Cirrus SR-20 registered to Lidle, said Yankees manager Joe Torre.

There was a mayday from the pilot involving a problem with fuel before the aircraft crashed into the 50-story high-rise on Manhattan's East Side, the FAA reported.

Witness Henry Neimark, who is also a pilot, said he saw a plane flying at relatively low altitude which seemed to come from LaGuardia International Airport.

"It looked to me in retrospect that this was a pilot desperately trying to get back to the airport and land safely on a runway," he said.

No residents at the Belaire Condominiums at 524 E. 72nd Street near the East River were injured. More than 150 firefighters rushed to the scene of a four-alarm fire in the building. By 6 p.m., residents who lived below the impact zone -- below the 40th floor -- were able to go back into the building, Bloomberg said.

At least two Belaire residents were at home during the crash. They described a loud noise and saw pieces of metal flying into their apartment, Bloomberg said.

The National Transportation Safety Board will interview all witnesses while investigating the cause of the crash.

Bloomberg said the plane departed from Teterboro Airport in northern New Jersey at 2:29 p.m. Shortly after circling the Statue of Liberty and heading north near the 59th Street Bridge, air traffic control lost contact with pilot.

Immediately after the crash NORAD (North American Aerospace Defense Command) said it had put fighter aircraft into the air over numerous U.S. cities, though they said they had no reason to believe the event in New York was anything more than an accident, sources told CNN's Barbara Starr. NORAD did the same thing after the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

NORAD Admiral Timothy Keating told CNN within an hour after the crash that the agency believed terrorism was not involved.

The FAA placed a one-mile flight restriction around the site of the crash, but New York area airports were not affected.

"The fire was raging out of two windows," witness Steiner told CNN.

Steiner said fires were burning on the ground. "It looks like the plane just flew into someone's living room there."

"It looks as if the aircraft didn't go into the building but fell down," she said. "It may be part of the debris burning on the ground."

Video from the scene shows at least three apartments in the high-rise engulfed in flames.

Lidle was 4-3 for the Yankees, who acquired the right-handed pitcher in a trade with the Philadelphia Phillies on July 30.

He pitched 1 1/3 innings and gave up three runs in the Yankees' season-ending loss to Detroit in the American League Division Series on Saturday.

Lidle, a nine-year veteran, was in the last year of his contract.

10-11-2006, 5:27 PM

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 12-16-2005
Posts 6,177
Reply Quote

Thank God that this wasn't an attack... Dee Dee, Che, ChocoD and Rocky, *and any other NY fam*I'm glad you all weren't hurt and your loved ones are okay... my prayers are with the family of the deceased and injured.

}i{

10-12-2006, 5:00 AM
DivaDevine is online. Last active: 11/21/2006 7:30:17 AM DivaDevine

Top 25 Posts
Joined on 05-09-2006
Posts 2,157
Reply Quote
 MsButterfly94 wrote:

Thank God that this wasn't an attack... Dee Dee, Che, ChocoD and Rocky, *and any other NY fam*I'm glad you all weren't hurt and your loved ones are okay... my prayers are with the family of the deceased and injured.

}i{

Well put MsB...I thank God for all you being alright!
When I see the RAINBOW in the clouds, I will remember the eternal covenant between God and every living creature on earth."
I have fallen in love with the perfect wombman....ME
MODIFIED:::DIVADEVINE::
Floetry » All Things Floe... » The Music » Re: NY City Building Hit By a Plane.... NOT Again!!!

Terms and Conditions | Privacy Policy